Irreconcilable Differences | Grounds for divorce UK

By September 24, 2019
A couple discussing unreasonable behaviour

Irreconcilable differences refers to the differences in a marriage that cannot be resolved, resulting in a broken and unhappy relationship.

Irreconcilable differences are often referred to as a no-fault divorce. A no-fault divorce is an accepted ground for divorce in many countries including Australia, however, England and Wales is not one of them.

In England and wales, you have to prove your irreconcilable differences by using one of the 5 facts below.

  1. Adultery
  2. Unreasonable behaviour
  3. 2-year separation
  4. 5-year separation
  5. Desertion

If you are having difficulty understanding which grounds for divorce to use, then please do not hesitate to contact us. One of our professional and friendly advisors will be more than happy to help.

Irreconcilable Differences Meaning

Irreconcilable differences is simply the result of an inability to agree; even through compromise which has resulted in a relentlessly hostile relationship.

If you would like any additional advice them please contact us today for free professional advice.

Irreconcilable Differences Examples

Irreconcilable differences can include problems such as:

  • Family Disputes
  • Inability to find the correct balance between home and work-life
  • Unable to communicate effectively
  • Change in sexual intimacy
  • Personal habits/idiosyncrasies
  • Lack of participation in household responsibilities
  • Relationships with others
  • Different religious or Political views
  • Debt
  • Different parenting ideas

Please note: Irreconcilable difference are not limited to the above list.

How to divorce using irreconcilable differences in the UK.

Choosing a valid ground for divorce is the first step to getting your decree absolute. Once you have decided upon this you are then able to start the divorce process.

The Divorce Process

  1. File D8 Divorce Petition
  2. Acknowledgement of Service
  3. Decree Nisi
  4. Decree Absolute

After choosing your ground for divorce you will then file your d8 divorce petition. If you are the one filing for divorce you will become the petitioner. Your spouse will then become the respondent as they are responding to the divorce.

Once filed the respondent will then receive an acknowledgement of service via the post. They will have to fill out this document with their response to the divorce petition and send it back to the courts.

Don’t have an address for your spouse or worried they will contest?

The petitioner will then have to apply for their decree nisi followed by their decree absolute, legally ending their marriage.

If you would like some more information on the divorce process then check out our detailed post on how to get a divorce.

Quicke Divorce

The thought of divorce can be very stressful and can feel rather daunting. We have created a range of divorce services tailored to your needs and budget.

We pride ourselves on providing our customers with the same if not better service as a high street solicitor but at the fraction of the cost.

If you would like any further information then please do not hesitate to get in contact with one of our advisors, they will be more than happy to help.


Start your managed divorce today.

We handle all aspects of your divorce including the drafting and filing of all divorce documents with the courts, as well as any communication between the court, your spouse or any opposing solicitors.

Buy Online Now- £169




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

sixteen − 15 =