Getting divorced without an address for your husband or wife

By October 23, 2017

How to serve divorce papers on your spouse without an address

Getting an amicable divorce is stressful enough, let alone when it’s been 5+ years and you no longer have an address or contact details for your ex-partner.

Not having an address for your husband or wife is actually extremely common and here at Quicke Divorce, we receive emails and phone calls everyday with people in this situation.

Not having an address for your spouse does complicate the divorce process, but that does not mean that you need to hire a solicitor to deal with your divorce and end up spending thousands on what is still a relatively straightforward procedure.

You might be saying to yourself, ‘I’ve been separated 5+ years now, my divorce should be automatic’, but that is incorrect and is unfortunately a myth.

Therefore, you must take certain extra steps in the divorce procedure in order to obtain a divorce.

To get a divorce when you don’t have an address for your spouse, you must prove to the court that you have tried to find an address for your spouse through mutual friends, family, social media or name registers etc.

You can find information on divorcing a missing spouse on the GOV.UK website, which will give you a good idea of the process involved with divorcing a missing spouse.

Why do I need to try and locate my spouse?

Even though you have been separated for 4 or 5 plus years, your ex-partner is still entitled to see a copy of the divorce papers before the court proceed with your divorce.

The court will not grant you a divorce unless you have shown them that you have taken reasonable steps to try and locate your ex-partner, so that they can be served with the divorce papers.

We strongly advise trying to find an address of your spouse’s family or close friends as sometimes the divorce papers can be served on them if they are still in touch with your spouse.

An important tip for finding an address for your spouse or a family member of your spouse is to use social media channels, such as Facebook and LinkedIn as most people in the UK have a profile on these channels.

If you can find an address for your spouse, it could save you over £500 on the cost of your divorce, it could also speed up your divorce process by at least 4 weeks.

What to do if you can’t get an address for your spouse?

If your husband or wife has moved out of the UK and finding their address is unlikely, the court will typically allow your divorce to proceed.

However, if your spouse is likely to still be in the UK, the court will want you to find the address.

This is where finding an address can become very time consuming and expensive.

There are several different routes you can take to find an address for your spouse, but there is no better option on the market compared to Missing Spouse Divorce Service for £299.

We only provide fixed fee divorce services and this is no different, at £299 it covers multiple applications to try and locate your spouse, which will enable you to obtain a divorce. Call us on 01793 384 032 for more information on this service.

You would be wrong to think that you must hire a solicitor to obtain a divorce if you cannot locate your spouse.

Although Quicke Divorce is an online service, we have helped over 20,000 people obtain a missing spouse divorce.

Our service is quicker, easier and cheaper than what solicitors provide and because we work closely with the court we can process applications quickly and easily.

There are 3 different options that may be relevant to your situation, which are;

  1. Application for substituted service of the divorce petition
  2. Application for a Disclosure order from HMRC
  3. Application to Dispense with service of the divorce petition


If you are unsure whether these services will be suitable for your situation, please feel free to call our team of divorce experts for free advice on 01793 384 032.

These 3 services cover all bases for situations where you don’t have an address for your spouse, so we are confident that we can help you obtain a divorce without needing to hire a solicitor.

Did we mention that we’ve helped over 20,000 couples obtain a divorce when they don’t have an address for their spouse?

You can also get in touch with us on our website via Live Chat where you can speak live to a divorce expert, or simply email us today. for more information.

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

one × four =