Divorce after 5 years separation

By November 9, 2015

5 year separation divorce

How to divorce after 5 years of separation

It is possible to get divorced if you have been separated for 5 years or more without the consent of your spouse.

This sounds easy, right? Well yes it is, if:-

  • You know where your ex-partner lives.
  • They acknowledge the proceedings in writing, by responding to the acknowledgement of service sent to them by the courts.

As you can see from the above list, 5 years separation can be a complex ground for divorce to use, so it’s important you understand how the process will work with each different scenario.

1 – Divorce after 5 years if you know where they live.

The divorce will be based on a 5-year separation divorce petition, which is filed at a regional divorce centre with the £550 court filing fee.

The divorce centre will then post a copy of the 5-year divorce petition to your spouse with a form called an acknowledgement of service.

Your spouse needs to return this form to the court to acknowledge they have been served by post with the divorce petition.

If they return the form to the divorce centre, you can then apply for the Decree Nisi, which will be granted and then the Decree absolute.

The whole divorce process should take about 4 months, depending on how busy the divorce centres are.

We can help you get a quick and easy divorce based on 5 years separation, even if you have no address for your spouse. Call us today on 01793 384 032 for free information. 

2 – Divorce after 5 years if they won’t co-operate

If once you have served the divorce petition, your spouse does not respond to your 5-year separation divorce petition, you need to prove that they have been served with the divorce petition.

You can either ask the court bailiff to serve them personally or hire a private process server to do this for you.

Either way, it is going to cost more money. Roughly £150-£200 for a private process server or £100 for the court bailiff fee.

Once they have been served you can produce the statement of service with your decree nisi application, which proves they have personally received the divorce petition.

You can then proceed to decree nisi and then decree absolute.

3 – Divorce after 5 years if there is no address for your spouse.

If you don’t have an address for your spouse, the process becomes a lot longer and sometimes more expensive. This is the process that stumps most litigants in person.

There are a number of equally valid options available to you;

  • You may have to apply to the divorce centre for a court order against a government department to divulge the current address of your spouse if you believe they are living in the UK or they are a UK citizen
  • You may have to apply to dispense with service of the divorce petition if your spouse is abroad and cannot reasonably be found through normal channels.You need to say that you have tried to find their address but have been unable to do so.
  • If you know the address of someone close to them or their work address, you can apply for them to be served via someone else.

So, as you can see getting a divorce based on 5 years separation is not a case of applying for a divorce without having to do anything, despite what you may have been told in the pub or the Daily Mail.

Quicke Divorce can assist you with this process for a low cost fixed fee, so there is no need to be worried that the costs will escalate.

If you have any questions regarding using 5 years separation to divorce, leave a comment below and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible – be sure to give us as much information as possible.

More resources

If you would like low-cost help in dealing with this kind of divorce please contact us on 01793 384 032 or speak to one of our trained advisers on live chat.


Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

17 − 15 =